Baked Polenta with Mushrooms and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
8 oz. fresh mushrooms, chopped
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
1-3/4 cups chicken broth
(fat-free, no sodium, no MSG)
1/2 cup polenta or self-rising yellow corn meal
1/4 tsp. powdered thyme
(or 1 tablespoon fresh with stalks removed)
1 egg, beaten
3/4 oz. Parmesan cheese, grated
4 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 cloves garlic, minced
Lite salt and pepper to taste
No-cholesterol cooking spray
1. Sauté mushrooms and dried tomatoes in one tablespoon of olive oil.
Cook until tender. Set aside.
2. In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Add polenta (or cornmeal) in a
slow, steady trickle. Stir continuously for 3-4 minutes or until mixture is
thick enough to hold a spoon upright. Set aside to cool slightly then add
thyme, egg, half the cheese, salt and pepper.
3. When cool enough to handle, spread mixture 1/2-inch thick on a cutting
board. Set aside to cool and set.
4. While mixture is cooling, sauté garlic in remaining olive oil. Preheat
oven to 425 degrees.
5. When mixture is cold and firm, cut into one-inch squares, putting aside
any odd-sized pieces.
6. Spray an 8x8-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Place the odd-sized
pieces in bottom of dish. Arrange polenta squares on top and sprinkle with
7. Pour garlic/olive oil and mushrooms/tomatoes over entire top of dish.
8. Bake 15-20 minutes until golden brown and puffed up.