1 1/2 cups chicken or turkey breast, diced
2 cups fresh spinach
2 cups fresh romaine lettuce, torn in bite-sized pieces*
1 can whole black olives, drained
3 hard boiled eggs, sliced (set aside)
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (set aside)
2 avocados, sliced (set aside)
2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled (if desired)
1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
1. Gently toss all ingredients (except sliced eggs, avocados and walnuts) in a large bowl.
2. Add salad dressing and toss again.
3. Top with sliced egg, avocado and walnuts. ('Decorate' your salad making a pin wheel with egg and avocado using an olive in the center.) Garnish with paprika.
* For crispy romaine, cut bottom off, rinse all leaves well. Place ice cubes in a large bowl of water. Place romaine in bowl for about 20 minutes. Discard iced water and shake water off leaves. Wrap leaves in a cloth dish towel and place in refrigerator. They can be stored in the towel for several days and will be crisp-tasty for each serving. Also, I've learned that by using a 'special' lettuce knife, which is plastic, it will prevent the ends of the lettuce from turning brown.
Suggested salad dressing:
1/4 cup blueberry or raspberry Balsamic vinegar
3 Tablespoons water
1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 0.7 ounce package Italian salad dressing mix (such as Good Seasons)
1. Place all ingredients in a jar or bowl and either shake well or mix well with a wire whisk.
2. Pour over salad.