5 cups broccoli florets
2 Tablespoons almonds
2 cans mandarin oranges (drained)
1 whole orange plus juice and grated peel
5 green onions, chopped
2 Tablespoons white vinegar
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
1 Tablespoon sugar*
Lite salt and pepper, as needed
1. Steam broccoli in covered saucepan for 3 minutes. Remove immediately and rinse under cold running water until broccoli is cooled. Chill in a foil covered serving bowl.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, combine almonds, drained mandarin oranges, grated peel, juice from orange, onions and remaining ingredients except salt and pepper.
3. Toss gently. Set aside for about 20 minutes or until room temperature is achieved.
4. When ready to serve, pour marinated orange mixture on chilled broccoli. Toss very gently.
5. Season to taste with salt and pepper (only if desired; can be omitted).