2-3 Tablespoons pesto sauce*
4 cups broccoli florets (about 2 pounds whole broccoli)
1 1/2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 Tablespoons chopped red bell pepper or pimentos
3 medium garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup pine nuts or walnuts
2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed tightly in measuring cup
1/2 cup grated low-fat Parmesan/Reggiano or Romano cheese
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
freshly ground black pepper
1. Place nuts and garlic in a food processor. Pulse a few times.
2. Add basil and remaining ingredients pesto sauce ingredients except EVOO and black pepper. Pulse until blended.
3. While the processor is on, slowly add the EVOO in a steady stream, stopping to scrape down the sides with a spatula.
4. Add ground pepper to taste.
Okay, back to the broccoli:
1. Arrange broccoli florets in a steamer basket over a small amount of water.
2. Steam until florets are bright green and just a bit tender, approximately 5 minutes.
3. Transfer to a serving dish. Pour lemon juice evenly over florets.
4. Dot with pesto sauce. (You will have quite a bit of pesto left over for other dishes.)
5. Sprinkle with chopped red bell pepper or pimentos.
6. Serve right away.
7. Place remaining pesto in a plastic storing container with a lid and refrigerate.
Enjoy the broccoli dish, which is very tasty with baked fish and a small white baked potato. Then enjoy the remaining pesto with a number of other meals, such as over whole-wheat pasta, on top of baked potatoes, mixed with vegetables or spread over toasted baguette slices.