With so many diets being talked about, promoted and researched, the Mediterranean Diet is one that emerges as the healthiest diet among the medical journals and articles. In this video, Dr. Cherry discusses how you can realize the benefits of the diet followed by the people living around the Mediterranean Sea, where God's people grew up and established a nation.
The Mediterranean Diet is very similar to the diet outlined in Genesis1:29 and 9:3. Follow these guidelines for the most healthful diet in the world.
• Olive oil (extra-virgin is best) to replace most fats, oils, butter and margarine
• Nuts – almonds or walnuts have the most health benefits (10 per day - be careful not to overdo it)
• Breads - the darker the better, with lots of grains; choose dark, chewy, crusty breads, such as rye or barley
• Pasta, rice (preferably brown), couscous, bulgar, potatoes
• Grains, such as bran cereals
• Fruits – at least 2-3 pieces of raw fruit daily
• Dark green leafy vegetables, such as spinach and greens - the darker they are, the more nutrients they have
• Other vegetables – and eat from a selection of carrots, sweet potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes, onions and cabbage
• Cheese (reduced fat, grated or in small wedges) and yogurt (non-fat)
• Beans, such as pinto, navy, kidney or great northern
• Eggs (2-3 per week)
• Fish – cold-water such as salmon, cod, mackerel is best, or trout
• Skinless Poultry – white breast meat is best
• Very little red meat, and choose only lean cuts with fat trimmed
Many of these ingredients can be combined in main dish soups, salads, or eaten as side dishes. We will be posting some of Linda's recipes using these ingredients online soon, so check back often!