Sweet potatoes were featured in Let Holiday Fruit, Vegetable Stars Shine for their many health benefits. This recipe offers a distinctive and delicious way to serve and enjoy these nutrition-packed stars!
4 egg whites, set aside in a medium bowl (while preparing potatoes)
4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped in chunks for boiling
1 1/2 Tablespoons skim milk
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
1 Tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon Lite salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place sweet potatoes in a large pot of cold water.
3. Bring water to a boil and cook for approximately 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork.
4. Drain and remove potato skins. Place in a large bowl. Mash until smooth.
5. Add milk, EVOO, honey, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla.
6. Beat egg whites until they just start to form soft peaks.
7. Stir 1/3 of beaten whites into sweet potato mixture. Combine well.
8. Fold in the second 1/3 of whites as described above. Repeat for the last 1/3 of whites.
9. Line cups of a muffin pan with paper muffin liners.
10. Scoop sweet potato mixture into the liners.
11. Bake for 30 minutes or until just firm. Remove from oven.
12. Let cool for 5 minutes before placing on a serving platter.