Spring Vegetables with Brown Rice
This hearty salad-type dish goes well with grilled or baked chicken and corn on the cob.
It is a wonderful spring and summer meal.
1 cup brown rice, cooked according to package directions
2 tablespoons extra virgin oil, divided
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon Lite salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
14 fresh asparagus spears
1 cup frozen green peas
1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
1/2 cup cashews, coarsely chopped
1. Cook brown rice. Remove from heat while preparing remainder of ingredients.
2. Prepare leeks by cutting in half lengthwise. Cut crosswise into one-inch pieces. (Mainly use white part of leek; avoid top tough green part.) Rinse well. Use paper towels to blot excess water.
3. Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a medium skillet (I prefer cast iron) on low setting. Add leeks and garlic. Cook for approximately five minutes or until leeks are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat when done.
4. In a large bowl whisk together the other tablespoon olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Add cooked rice and fluff with a fork. Add skillet
ingredients. Blend well.
5. Cut asparagus spears into 2-inch pieces. Steam for 4 minutes or until tender. Add peas during the last 30 seconds of cooking.
7. Add asparagus and peas to other ingredients in bowl.
8. Add mint and cashews. Toss to combine.
Chill or serve at room temperature.