1 ½ pounds eggplant, cut in thin slices
Lightly salt each layer of eggplant slices as you place slices in a colander, use a bowl under the colander to catch the "sweat." Let stand for 30 minutes.
Lite salt and pepper
4 large tomatoes
2 ounces low-fat Parmesan cheese, shredded or 3/4 cup packaged shredded
½ cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
1 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spay an oblong baking dish with a no-cholesterol cooking spray.
2. Pat eggplant dry with paper towels and set aside.
3. Cut tomatoes in thin slices. Set aside.
4. Grate cheese, if not shredded in a package.
5. Pour 2 Tablespoons of EVOO in bottom of baking dish.
6. Lightly brush both sides of eggplant slices with EVOO.
7. Alternate eggplant and tomatoes, overlapping them.
8. Sprinkle top with Lite salt, pepper, a small amount of cheese (reserving the rest for later) and lastly the remaining EVOO.
9. Cover dish with foil and bake for 1 hour.
10. Remove foil and sprinkle remaining cheese over top. Cook uncovered until soft and golden brown; up to 25-30 minutes longer; watch carefully to avoid over browning cheese.
Delicious served with a spring mix fresh greens salad, green beans with slides almonds, and dark, heated crusty bread.